April 27, 2012

Book Club Friday: 50 More Shades


Oh hello books 19 & 20!
Yes, at the end of Month 4, I am at 20 books which, averages out to 5 per month. If I can keep this up, I will reach my 50 Book goal by the end of October!
I give you...

Book #19

Daunted by the singular tastes and dark secrets of the beautiful, tormented young entrepreneur Christian Grey, Anastasia Steele has broken off their relationship to start a new career with a Seattle publishing house. 
 
But desire for Christian still dominates her every waking thought, and when he proposes a new arrangement, Anastasia cannot resist. They rekindle their searing sensual affair, and Anastasia learns more about the harrowing past of her damaged, driven and demanding Fifty Shades.
 
While Christian wrestles with his inner demons, Anastasia must confront the anger and envy of the women who came before her, and make the most important decision of her life.


and

Book #20

When unworldly student Anastasia Steele first encountered the driven and dazzling young entrepreneur Christian Grey it sparked a sensual affair that changed both of their lives irrevocably. Shocked, intrigued, and, ultimately, repelled by Christian’s singular erotic tastes, Ana demands a deeper commitment. Determined to keep her, Christian agrees.
 
Now, Ana and Christian have it all—love, passion, intimacy, wealth, and a world of possibilities for their future. But Ana knows that loving her Fifty Shades will not be easy, and that being together will pose challenges that neither of them would anticipate. Ana must somehow learn to share Christian’s opulent lifestyle without sacrificing her own identity. And Christian must overcome his compulsion to control as he wrestles with the demons of a tormented past.
 
Just when it seems that their strength together will eclipse any obstacle, misfortune, malice, and fate conspire to make Ana’s deepest fears turn to reality.


Ok, I know, I really drank the Koolaid on this series but you know what, I'm glad I did.
The first in the series is very awkward because, honestly, who reads about super erotic encounters? I mean, if that's your cup of tea, awesome but for me, not so much. It made me feel awkward, and dare I say dirty.

But I kept reading because:
A. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.
B. I wanted to know who exactly gave Christian the cigarette burns, as I wasn't exactly sure it was his birth mother, and
C. I felt ike something was going to happen but I was constantly left hanging... ( I call this Paranormal Activity Syndrome-- where you've convinced yourself something big and crazy is going to happen, and then they open the door adn nothing is there.. ya, Paranormal Activity Syndrome)

I found myself skimming through the sex scenes.  That's really not what I was reading for.  I mean, if I want to get aroused, my husband is still more than willing to oblige. (Ew I know). But despite the terrible plot line and even more terrible use of the English language (see what I did there), I have to say, I kind of enjoyed the Character development of Mr Grey and how he deals with his demons throughout the three books.

Take them as they are: 
trashy romance novels that should be sold in the crappy book section of a supermarket. 
Glorified Twilight fan fiction.
But, I couldn't put them down.

Ps. The whole time I read them I pictured this guy as Christian. Yes, I create the book in my head...



Although there is another actor I'm thinking of but can NOT for the life of me think of his name or remember what he's in...

Oh well, how about you.. have you read?
Who do you picture?


Ps. Come back TOMORROW for the beginning of the Mother's Day Giveaway!!


8 comments:

  1. I blew through the 50 Shades series. It was ah-mazing!!!!

    I always pictured Christian Haydensen (Adult Anikan Skywalker from Star Wars, the new ones) as Christian, lol.


    Coming by from the book link up :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading Fifty Shades of Grey and I can't seem to put it down. I really want to grab the other two books right now. I think its fantastic. I'm thinking Jake Gyllenhaal as Grey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m halfway through the first book right now. I totally feel you about her use of the English language. If you are British (or Australian? Which is she?) don’t write a book set in Seattle. I live in Seattle and have been so annoyed by her errors. I keep picturing Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl, though I’m not that attracted to him. I think Liam is a fine choice!!! I would really love to see my boyfriend, Jake Gyllenhaal, play Mr. Grey though!

    I’m visiting from BUB’s book club linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never thought I'd willingly pick up a book like this, but after all the hype I know I'll be reading them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm about 75% through the first book now and I'm just not hooked like everyone else seems to be! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt the same way about book one, but I went ahead and read book two...and then I was totally hooked :)

      Delete
  6. I really love fan fiction and semi-erotica doesn't bother me, but these are not necessarily on the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the book is well written. I have to admit by the second book, I too was skimming over the sex scenes. BUT...I like the way the characters interact and the story line. Jake or Ian all the way to play Christian.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...